Yes you have had a dog for years and think you know it all! And you may know a lot about dog food, but even if you do (and of course for those that don’t), it’s always a good refresher.
(1) Stick to protein rich dog food, which result in more energy for your dog, less health problems.
(2) Also give your dog only human grade dog food. Most dog foods are classified as “feed” which means its made up of meat from dead, dying, and diseased animals. Yuck!
(3) The least processed the better. Canned and kibble go through such extreme processing to make them shelf stable. It’s much easier to absorb nutrients, and there are more nutrients in foods that are less processed.
(1) Stay away from wheat & processed grains.
(2) Be weary of dog food that is made up of “meal.” If the word “meal” comes after a mean on the ingredients list of your dog food then its not real meat, its a by product which can also contain feathers, grease and whatever else is lying around.
(3) Stay clear of preservatives, which most commercial brands use to extend the shelf life of their dog food. Some preservatives used double as pesticides- they are not even permitted in the UK, but the good old US of A allows them of course!
(4) Don’t feed table scraps! No need, and nothing good will come from it (unless you like a fat begging dog at your tableside, j/k, well not really!). Also remember never ever feed your dog: chocolate, onions, grapes, raisins, bones and macadamia nuts.
The FDA doesn’t control what manufacturers are putting in our pet’s food! So we must ourselves be very diligent, because as you know the saying ‘what we eat is what we are’ goes for dogs too! And you don’t want your dog to be a sick animal.
(1) Wash your dog food bowl regularly, whether you give him dry, wet or raw, and water bowl for that matter. If you wouldn’t eat off of the same plate every meal why should he? (Hopefully I’m not assuming too much! LOL)
(2) Feed your dog the correct portions of food, read labels, talk to your vet. You are not helping your dog by over feeding him!
(3) Keep your dog hydrated- they need a lot of water! To help your dog drink more, wash his water bowl daily, and give fresh water at least with every meal!
I think my dog eats better than me (actually I know he eats better than me) but that makes me happy knowing that he will live his longest healthiest life that I can give him. Yes it’s hard to resist that cute face begging you for some food off your plate, but just remind yourself you would rather have your dog live a long healthy life (than a fat beggar), if so then just give him a hug and a pat instead, or better yet, play a game of fetch with him after you eat!
Here’s a great source to check out. You can look up the brand of dog food you are feeding your pup, and see if its worthy enough! Dog Food Advisor