I saw an article about the Top 5 Toxins to Your Pet in 2010, and I thought it was important to share!
Some people tend to think that cats are not as fast to eat things they shouldn’t, but that is entirely untrue. About 9% of the calls to the Animal Poison Control helpline are about cats! So whether you have a dog, cat or another pet, this is a must read!
Remember, this is not an exhaustive list. Just a list of the top 5 reasons people called Animal Poison Control in 2010.
1. Human and Veterinary Medications – During 2010, about 40 percent of feline cases at Pet Poison Helpline involved cats that improperly ingested human or veterinary drugs. Cats have difficulty metabolizing certain drugs, especially as compared to dogs and humans. Common drugs such as NSAIDS are some of the most deadly to cats. When ingested, NSAIDS can result in severe kidney failure and stomach ulcers. Likewise, one acetaminophen tablet can be fatal to a cat, as it results in damage to red blood cells. Untreated, it can cause severe anemia, difficulty breathing, a swollen face, liver failure and death. Cats also seem to like the taste of certain antidepressants, which seem to contain an attractive smell or flavor in the coating. With any accidental medication ingestion, immediate veterinary care is imperative.
True Story: Last weekend, a friend of mine’s mother, left her daily pills in a plastic cup on the counter in the bathroom. She left the room and when she returned, the pills were spilled over on the floor. She noticed 2 pills missing, one being a blood pressure pill. Immediately she told my friend, and they calmly surveyed the situation. First, they thoroughly searched on the floor for the pills; however, they were nowhere to be found. My friend has never seen her cat eat a pill, and never thought he would! She then took one of the blood pressure pills and put it up to her cat’s nose to see if he showed any interest in it. Immediately, he tried to eat it! Without hesitation, she called her veterinarian, to find out the right protocol. I’m very happy to say that the cat is fine, and was not affected by the ingestion of the pill, but this is a lesson we should all learn from!
2. Plants – Poisonous plants were the second most common cat toxin in 2010,. True lilies, including the Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese Show lilies, are among the most deadly and cause kidney failure in cats. Because these flowers are fragrant, inexpensive and long-lasting, florists often include them in arrangements. Small ingestions of two or three petals or leaves – even the pollen – can result in severe, potentially irreversible kidney failure. Immediate veterinary care is imperative. Despite their name, other plants such as the Peace, Peruvian and Calla lily are not true lilies and do not cause kidney failure. Instead, these plants contain insoluble oxalate crystals that can cause minor symptoms, such as irritation in the mouth, tongue, pharynx and esophagus.
3. Insecticides –Exposure to household insecticides such as lawn and garden products, sprays, powders, or granules often occurs when a cat walks through a treated area; however, serious poisoning is rare. More concerning is exposure to concentrated topical flea and tick medications meant for dogs. Dog-specific insecticides containing pyrethrins or pyrethroids are highly toxic to cats. Poisoning occurs when pet owners apply such products directly to cats or cats lick these medications off dogs that live with them. Severe drooling, tremors and life-threatening seizures can occur. Always read labels carefully before using any kind of insecticide and ask your veterinarian about appropriate topical flea and tick medications for your cat.
4. Household Cleaners –Many cat owners don’t realize that some common household cleaners like kitchen and bath surface cleaners, carpet cleaners and toilet bowl cleaners can be toxic to cats. Symptoms can include profuse drooling, difficulty breathing, vomiting, and even organ damage. After cleaning your home, make sure all excess liquid or residue is wiped up or eliminated, and stow the products out of your cat’s reach as soon as possible. Only allow your cat back into the cleaned areas after the products have completely dried.
5. Other Toxins – The remainder of feline-related calls during 2010 involved less obvious toxins, such as glow sticks and liquid potpourri. Glow sticks and jewelry contain a very bitter tasting liquid called dibutyl phthalate. While rarely deadly, just one bite into these items can cause your cat to drool profusely. Most of these exposures can be managed at home. Offer (but do not force) your cat chicken broth or canned tuna (in water, not oil) to help to remove the bitter taste from the mouth. Remove the glow sticks and clean up any remaining liquid to prevent re-exposure to cats, who may continue to groom it off their fur. A bath may be in order to remove any “glowing” liquid from his or her skin. If you see signs of redness to the eyes, squinting, continued drooling, or not eating, a trip to the veterinarian may be necessary.
Pet Poison Helpline – 1-800-213-6680
Full Article: http://click.petplace.com/?ju=fe24157174600c797c1c77&ls=fdec12757267007a70117975&m=feff1273766004&l=fe9616737361067c73&s=fe1d12787c6004747c1071&jb=ffcf14&t=